Friday, September 26, 2008

Homemade Bread

Last night I was doing some chores around the house and getting ready for the weekend festivities. Micah and I are going to his friend Bill's house and we are going to watch the game with his family and some of Bill and Micah's friends. I made cupcakes in ice creams, circa 1988. That was THE dessert to have at your birthday party. I decided if I made the cupcakes now, then I could ice them on Saturday and they would be perfectly cooled. So, whilst I was making cupcakes (and totally using my new handheld mixer!), I decided I was going to try this bread recipe I found on the internet. Yes, I typed bread recipe. I made homemade bread from scratch. I did not use a bread maker. I mixed the yeast and let it get frothy and then added the flour and and set it to rise for about an hour. Then, I got to punch the dough and hear the air escape. That made me really happy because it meant that I did it right. I did a little happy dance in my kitchen. I know my Grandmom is super proud of me. Her mom, Granny Hall, would have declared that it was from her side of the family. I divided the dough into two bread pans and I made sure not to tear it when I divided it. I felt very talented. Then, I let the bread rise for another 30 minutes and then I watched it bake. I sat in the floor of my kitchen, with the oven light on, and watched this totally great bread rise and bake. When it was done, I cut a piece of the bread and it was delicious! I had some for breakfast this morning--covered with strawberry jam and butter. It's what we have for breakfast whenever my momma makes bread.

So, now I'm pretty pleased with my baking skills. They are improving daily by great leaps and bounds. Next thing you know, I'll start a garden. Wouldn't that be something!

No comments: